Preparation leads to creativity. So many people think that creativity is something someone is born with. The truth is, we all have it in us, we just need to learn to tap into it.
A big part of being creative is being in the right state of mind. Any type of stress, tension, excitement, or noise can hinder your creativity.
One way I like to calm my body in mind is through practicing a simple breathing technique.
- Get into a comfortable position.
- Put one hand on your belly just below your ribs and the other hand on your chest.
- Take a deep breath in through your nose, and let your belly push your hand out. Your chest should not move.
- Release your breath out through your nose, deeply, and at a controlled pace. Feel your breath being released and direct your breath towards your neck, releasing all that bad energy.
- Take another deep breath in through your nose, and again let your belly push your hand out. Your chest should again not move.
- Release your breath out through your nose, deeply, and at a controlled pace. Feel your breath being released and direct your breath towards your shoulders, releasing all your tension.
- Notice how you feel at the end of the exercise.
Now that you are in a place of calmness and relaxation, you can begin to think clearly.
A big reason why we fail to create new things or think of new ideas is because we are so caught up in our day-to-day crap that we forget about the life that exists beyond the borders of our small world.
Simply, preparing your mind and being in a state of calmness can awaken your creative potential and allow you to begin creating and thinking of new ways to do things.